There has been increasing recognition of the key role that effective teamwork plays in improving the quality and safety of health care. The Institute of Medicine called on academic institutions to begin educating health professionals to work collaboratively as part of a report issued in 2001 entitled Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. Over 10 years later, there has not been significant progress in meeting this recommendation.
With the passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and a current shortage of health care professionals, increased collaboration and teamwork across the health professions will be necessary to care for an aging population with multiple chronic illnesses. There is now a renewed interest in exploring how team-based care models can be used to improve quality, safety and access, and how interprofessional education (IPE) should be designed for health care professionals to help them learn how to actually work together in teams.
Listed below are some resources and references to assist the College of Pharmacy in implementing IPE.
- Interprofessional Education: Principles and Application. A Framework for Clinical Pharmacy an ACCP White Paper in Pharmacotherapy 2009;29(3):145e–164e
- Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice: Report of an Expert Panel from the Interprofessional Education Collaborative Expert Panel, 2011
- Team-Based Competencies: Building a Shared Foundation For Education and Clinical Practice Conference Proceedings; February 16–17, 2011
- Theme issue on IPE from the American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education
- Changing the Future of Health Professions: Embedding Interprofessional Education Within an Academic Health Center from Blue, A. V., Mitcham, M., Smith, T., Raymond, J., & Greenberg, R. (2010). Academic Medicine, 85(8), 1290-1295.
- Framework for Action on Interprofessional Education & Collaborative Practice from the WHO Study Group on Interprofessional Education and Collaborative Practice
- Interprofessional Professionalism Collaborative
- Case Study Examples: Pharmacists Working in Collaboration With Physicians and Other Health Care Professionals
- Interprofessional Education and Practice Guide No. 1: Developing Faculty to Effectively Facilitate Interprofessional Education from Hall, L. W., & Zierler, B. K. (2015). Journal of interprofessional care, 29(1), 3-7.
- An Interprofessional Faculty Seminar Focused on Interprofessional Education from Poirier, T., & Wilhelm, M. (2014). American journal of pharmaceutical education, 78(4), 80.
Rethinking Health Professions Education Through the Lens of Interprofessional Practice and Education from Brandt, B. F. (2018). New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education, 2018(157), 65-76.