The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) Fund
The primary mission of the Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning (CATAL) is to promote effective and innovative teaching and the scholarship of teaching and learning. To help accomplish this mission, CATAL provides funds to conduct SoTL.
The amount of available funding will be determined at the beginning of the budget year. Requests for funds will be reviewed on a rolling basis and provided throughout the academic year until funds are exhausted. Technology costs cannot be supported.
SoTL will be defined as rigorous and thoughtful investigation of student learning. The purpose of SoTL is to develop novel teaching methodologies and practices that lead to the measurable enhancement of student learning. The result of the investigation involves producing a quality scholarly product that is made available for public review and use beyond the College of Pharmacy. Therefore, SoTL involves systematic or methodical inquiry into student learning that is made public and is subject to peer review.
Guidelines to Request Funds
Eligibility - All faculty (individuals or teams) in the College of Pharmacy are eligible to apply.
Request for Funds - The request should consist of the following parts:
- Project Summary – Provide a succinct description of the proposed project. State the specific aims and objectives, and concisely describe the design and methods for achieving the stated objectives.
- Aims and Objectives – These should provide a clear statement of the expectations for the project.
- Significance of the Project – Include specific details on the significance of the project in addressing the perceived need and the potential impact on teaching in the College of Pharmacy. Describe how the results of the project will be shared with others and how the results may be transferred to other courses or teaching and learning opportunities. Include appropriate background and literature review, including relevant theory and past research.
- Description of the Project – Explain how the project will enhance teaching and learning. Outline potential long-term benefits of the project. Describe the relationship between the project and the aims and objectives.
- Plan for Evaluation – Explain how the success of the project will be assessed, including data analysis and interpretation. Include indicators that will be used to measure the success of the project. Answer the question: How you will know whether the innovation fostered the intended learning more effectively than an alternate method might do?
- Budget Page – Include an explanation/justification for the itemized costs in sufficient detail to enable reviewers to evaluate how funds will be used to support the proposed project.
Evaluation Criteria - Members of CATAL will evaluate each request. Criteria for selection include:
- The project promotes learning and teaching in the College of Pharmacy.
- The project precisely addresses issues related to learning and teaching in a systematic way with clearly defined outcomes, methods of assessment, and strategies for communicating results to other interested individuals.
- The potential for publication is substantial.
- Funds are justified and necessary to complete the project.
- The investigator has potential to serve as a future resource to others pursuing SoTL.
- The anticipated impact on students is positive and significant.